S4E17: "When Everything Looks Like a Hammer"
|Previous Episode||Next Episode|
|S4E16: "I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours"||S4E18: "Not Funny, Sysadministrivia"|
|Recorded (UTC)||Aired (UTC)||Editor|
|2019-10-03 02:52:58||2019-10-13 06:35:36||"Edita"|
We talk about the (software) tools we tend to use in our everyday roles.
Just the Tip
- Paden shares about tc, part of the wonderful iproute2 suite.
Starts at 14m54s.
I was drinking The Kraken again. Paden was drinking Miller Lite. Jthan was drinking root beer (he didn’t specify what kind).
- Everyday tools! (Tools we use every day, personally)
- Jthan and I use nslookup (and dig) EVERY day for DNS query lookups.
- Paden uses ssh-agent daily.
- It’s almost a necessity for SmartCard tokens.
- Jthan and I use the python interpreter/shell as a calculator.
- We all use SSH every day. Because duh.
- Python for writing my own tools (and a lot of usage from my OpTools repo)
- Git, because duh.
- For LDAP-related things, I use a lot of ldapmodify, ldapsearch, and ldapwhoami.
- For MySQL/MariaDB, I use DBeaver but DBA’s may need the extended features of MySQL Workbench.
- I also use a TON of awk, sed, and grep. But more than that, it’s important to learn regexes.
- Jthan uses Synergy.
- You don’t even need to log in to download the FOSS version; it’s on GitHub.
- Jthan during the pre-show said he’d say sl.
- Paden mentions i3wm and KDE.
- He also mentions tmux; Jthan and I like using byobu to wrap tmux.
- He also mentions curl, another good one.
- He says they use finger, I suggest he give getent a try.
- He says he uses Excel every day. Of course, there’s always LibreOffice Calc too.
- He also mentions Powershell
- And Splunk.
- Jthan wrote an XMPP bot with SleekXMPP.
- Jthan uses pdsh a lot.
- Jthan also suggests pass and I suggest Vault.
In this segment, Jthan shares with you a little slice of life. The title is a reference to this video. (2m16s in)
Starts at 45m36s.
Jthan brings up Wireguard (which we talk about in S3E16) but wants to know why he has to know how to run a VPN to run a VPN.
- Fusion is 100% a thing from Dragon Ball and there IS a dance.
- It always sounds so crazy when you explain what Saiyans/Goku/Vegeta are.
- Jthan never sent the full-res image. Everyone bother him.
- Vodka-infused gummy bears are here.
- But I was thinking of Skittles Vodka.
- Yes, Jthan, Wireguard was audited.
|Intro||Algorithms||Chad Crouch||click||CC-BY-NC 3.0||Outro||Life Illusion||Ketsa||click||CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0|